Skip to main content
Site logo

Main navigation

  • About Me
  • Latest News
  • My Plan
  • Campaigns
  • Contact
Site logo

Rishi disappointed at absence of A66 upgrading in Spending Review announcement 

  • Tweet
Friday, 13 June, 2025
  • Local News
A66

Rishi has expressed his disappointment that the go-ahead for the upgrading of the vital A66 trans-Pennine road was not included in Wednesday's Spending Review statement. 

Work was due to start this year, but the £1.4bn scheme was put on hold in July 2024. 

The Department for Transport have previously said that the A66 was being considered as part of the Spending review. 

There was no mention of the scheme in the statement made in the House of Commons. 

Rishi said: “The upgrading of the remaining single carriageway sections of this strategic route is vital from safety and economic perspectives. 

“The upgrade – which is shovel-ready – would save lives and boost the economy of the North of England. 

“The needs of business must be met and the fears of the communities who live alongside and have to use the dangerous single-carriageway sections alleviated.” 

Since the Government announced the upgrading would not be going ahead as scheduled, Rishi pressed ministers to give the scheme the green light. He raised the issue with the Prime Minister and, with fellow MP Tim Farron, who represents Westmorland and Lonsdale at the western end of the route, wrote to and met the Transport Minister. 

Throughout his time in Government, Rishi worked to speed up the upgrading project, including cutting the scheduled construction period in half. 

You may also be interested in

Rishi Sunak on the A66

Dualling the A66

Rishi has welcomed a Government decision to press ahead with the £1.4bn plans his Government had for making the A66 Trans-Pennine route a dual carriageway along its entire length.The dualling of the road was due to start in 2025 but the Labour Government put the scheme on hold in 2024 until announci
Rishi at the Flaming Farmers Outlet

Rishi visits new ‘Flaming Farmers’ vending outlet

Friday, 21 November, 2025
Rishi has praised a new local produce vending concept launched by two farmers in Stokesley.The new Flaming Farmers outlet, located in the forecourt of the Millbry Hill equine and country store, opened recently.While farm vending machines are now not uncommon, the range of foods available at the new

Show only

  • Articles
  • Farming
  • Local News
  • Media
  • Speeches in Parliament
  • Westminster News

Rishi Sunak Conservative MP for Richmond and Northallerton

Footer

  • About RSS
  • Accessibility
  • Cookies
  • Privacy
  • About Me
  • Survey
ConservativesPromoted by Sam Gibbs on behalf of Rishi Sunak MP, both at Unit 1, Omega Business Village, Northallerton, North Yorkshire DL6 2NJ
Copyright 2025 Rishi Sunak Conservative MP for Richmond and Northallerton. All rights reserved.
Powered by Bluetree