Skip to main content
Site logo

Main navigation

  • About Me
  • Latest News
  • My Plan
  • Campaigns
  • Contact
Site logo

Safety improvements to A66 junction secured by Rishi Sunak

  • Tweet
Wednesday, 15 February, 2017
  • Local News
Rishi Sunak A66 Ravensworth

Highways chiefs have agreed to make safety improvements to a dangerous junction on the A66 in North Yorkshire. 

Highways England will make the changes to the New Lane junction at Ravensworth after the intervention of MP Rishi Sunak. 

Ravensworth Parish Council had written to the Richmond MP asking for his help after villagers raised concerns about the T-junction on a single carriageway stretch of the important east-west trunk road. 

The villagers said the junction, which lies in a dip in the landscape, is poorly signposted and there is insufficient warning signs for motorists, particularly when travelling from the west. 

Mr Sunak wrote to the Government agency asking it to address the villagers' fears 

He said: "The A66 single carriageway sections of this vital artery are to be made dual carriageway but work will not start for a few years yet – it is important that the junction is made safer now." 

Mr Sunak said he was delighted that Highways England had agreed to erect permanent, prominent junction signs to take the place of temporary signs and also to install reflective marker posts to make the junction more visible, especially after dark. 

He added: "Anyone who has used this junction, especially at busy times, will know how difficult it can be to join or leave the A66 here. Dualling will ultimately provide a much better solution  but in the meantime this will certainly help motorists spot it in good time." 

In its response to Mr Sunak, Highways England said it would continue reviewing other possible improvement measures for the junction although the parish council's idea of a 40mph speed limit on the A66 near the New Lane turn-off had been ruled as not appropriate.

You may also be interested in

Rishi Sunak on the A66

Dualling the A66

Rishi has welcomed a Government decision to press ahead with the £1.4bn plans his Government had for making the A66 Trans-Pennine route a dual carriageway along its entire length.The dualling of the road was due to start in 2025 but the Labour Government put the scheme on hold in 2024 until announci

Show only

  • Articles
  • Farming
  • Local News
  • Media
  • Speeches in Parliament
  • Westminster News

Rishi Sunak Conservative MP for Richmond and Northallerton

Footer

  • About RSS
  • Accessibility
  • Cookies
  • Privacy
  • About Me
  • Survey
ConservativesPromoted by Sam Gibbs on behalf of Rishi Sunak MP, both at Unit 1, Omega Business Village, Northallerton, North Yorkshire DL6 2NJ
Copyright 2025 Rishi Sunak Conservative MP for Richmond and Northallerton. All rights reserved.
Powered by Bluetree